The Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI), a group representing resort operators, held its 32nd Annual General Meeting at the Kurumba resort on Thursday (23 June).
Some 96 members participated in this year’s AGM along with Tourism Minister Dr Abdulla Mausoom, Economic Development Minister Fayyaz Ismail, Environment Minister Aminath Shauna, and Maldives Marketing and Public Relations Corporations CEO Thoyyib Mohamed.
The MMPRC chief delivered remarks and joined a question and answer session with MATI members.
Leaders of fellow NGOs in the tourism industry, including the National Boating Association of Maldives, Maldives Association of Travel Agents and Tour Operators, and the National Hotels and Guesthouse Association of Maldives, were also in attendance.
Followed by an opening statement by MATI Chairman Mohamed Umar Manik, Secretary General Ahmed Nazeer oversaw the AGM’s proceedings, which included a video presentation highlighting the association’s work last year, and the presentation of annual and financial reports for 2021. MATI members adopted a budget and appointed auditors for 2022 and elected board members for a new annual term.
“In light of this year being the Golden Jubilee of Tourism, MATI also showcased a video detailing the celebratory activities organised by MATI for the year,” according to a press statement.
“They included the Chevening / Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI) Scholarships partnership, release of 2 coffee table books titled – ‘Maldivian Resort Architecture – 50 years of island resorts’ authored by Mr. Mauroof Jameel and ’50 years of Tourism in Maldives – the Pioneers, People and Policies that shaped the Industry’ authored by Dr. Simad Saeed set to be released during the Gala Dinner held on the 40th Anniversary of MATI on the 12th of August 2022 and a partnership with Parley Maldives tackling plastic pollution and promoting environmental conservation.”
Executive Board of MATI for 2022-2023:
1. Mr. Mohamed Umar Maniku, Chairman
2. Mr. Hussain Afeef, Vice-Chairman
3. Mr. Salah Shihab, Vice-Chairman
4. Mr. Ahmed Nazeer, Secretary General
5. Mr. Ahmed Hafeez, Financial Controller
6. Mr. Asad Ali, Deputy Secretary General
7. Mr. Ahmed Siyam Mohamed, Executive Board Member
8. Mr. Ibrahim Siyad Qasim, Executive Board Member
9. Mr. Ibrahim Noordeen, Executive Board Member
10. Mr. Iyaz Waheed, Executive Board Member
11. Ms. Visha Mahir, Executive Board Member
12. Mr. Ismail Siyan Qasim, Executive Board Member
13. Ms. Aishath Neena Ahmed, Executive Board Member
14. Ms. Zulaikha Manik, Executive Board Member
15. Mr. Mahjoob Shujau, Executive Board Member
16. Mr. Salil Panigrahi, Executive Board Member
17. Ms. Rivero Delgado, Executive Board Member